Surprising Health Benefits of Jigsaws
We all turn to puzzles as a way of having some fun with family and friends or to relax, without even realising that puzzles can help us produce dopamine. Puzzle building assists in our ability to concentrate, be optimistic, have confidence, and increase our memory. It instigates the visualisation of a future goal and seeing the result, resulting in a satisfying and relaxed feeling.
Building puzzles engages the brain as it provokes thought and vocabulary that conceptualise language in a non-typical way. There are tangible psychological benefits from your relaxing pastime, including:
- Improve short term memory as you recall clues for solving the puzzle, and stimulate your imagination as you incorporate the overall picture.
- To solve puzzles and problems, you need both creative and logical skills that use diverse brain functioning. With this integrated brain function, you are more effective and profound in your thinking with sustainable powers of understanding.
- The creative and innovative ideas that we deploy in solving puzzles encourage healthy brain functioning and stimulate efficient problem-solving skills.
Puzzle Success Tips and Tricks
Puzzles have been a favourite pastime in homes across the country for many years. Naturally, with so many hands at work and so many years, there are some handy tips and tricks that you can learn regarding what to do and what not to do to put a challenging jigsaw together faster.
These quick tips will help you do it much faster and with far less frustration:
- You should have a dedicated work area where your puzzle can fit comfortably when complete. This space prevents hassle and frustration, as you might not always be able to finish in one sitting. Having to pack up and pack out every time you want to work on your puzzle is a pain.
- Keep the photo of the puzzle handy, and then start placing the edges or border pieces based on the finished shape of the puzzle. While you are busy with the border, leave the centre of the frame empty: it will save time when you are ready to start with the centre.
- If you work on small sections that are open next to the border of the jigsaw, you can start matching colours and see whether the hooks and knobs will align. Once you’ve completed one section using this method, it will be easy to place it within the border of the puzzle more or less where it should be based on the photo. If you get stuck on a section that you are working on, move on to another and come back to that section later.
You should have ample lighting so that you can clearly see the pieces and colours to match them easily. Sorting your pieces face up with borders and centre pieces grouped together will help significantly to cut down the building time and give you a sense of familiarity with the pieces.
Create, Play, and Share
Visit Our Past Times to select from our premium collection of engaging jigsaw puzzles for adults and kids. We are located right in the middle of everywhere, ready to get you learning and having fun.